Finals. Essays. It’s that time of year again and boy am I ready to be done with school. I’ve got a ten page paper I have to finish by Monday and then another ten page paper I have to get done by Thursday, not to mention a twenty page paper that I also need to get finished by the end of the semester. Woot…
I don’t know if this happens to you, but I always find it that when I’m supposed to work on an assignment I get so distracted. Especially when I’m listening to some really great epic music. This current song that I’ve got playing “Vishnu” by E.S. Posthumus makes me want to write some epic short story or something. But I’ve got to get this done first ;P
What are some things that you do to help you focus?
Lock and Key
- I’m finding that I have to basically lock myself in my room (with snacks of course 😉 in order to actually concentrate. Love my roommates, but when it’s essay time, I’ve got to have my space.
- But I wouldn’t recommend working on your bed. Done it, and I almost always get the strongest urge to fall asleep. Not like that really changes when I work on the floor, but it’s a little less tempting.
- Music can always be helpful (Again if it’s not too distracting. I probably ought to change this song haha). There are some great playlists on Youtube (so long as you don’t go off into Youtube wonderland in the process). To counter that, I’ve got a whole playlist on my ITunes that’s dedicated completely to homework so that usually helps me out too.
- Then again, sometimes working in silence is the best thing you can do. Even if you have to go to the library in order to avoid roommates, it’s better to get things done as early as possible than have everything pile on top of you by the end. Trust me, I’m not excited about these essays
Get Rid of Distractions
- I also usually have to fight any and all urges to stay away from Facebook and other Internet distractions (Netflix). But taking a break every once in a while isn’t a bad thing. (However, what would be an even better practice would be to get up and do some jumping jacks or pushups! It helps me wake up and deal with tenseness)
- Sometimes even turning off the cellphone becomes a necessity so I’m not distracted. Just let your family and friends know that you’ve got finals you’ve got to worry about. They’ll understand 🙂
Have you got any suggestions on what I could do better? I’d love to hear it!
Well, time to get back to work. Good luck to you!